LESBOS, Greece – The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees said problems of Lesbos migrants should be addressed quickly, as their struggle is not living facilities at the camp but they want to enter other European countries.
Philippe Leclerc, UNHCR representative in Greece, said on Wednesday, “to the best of our abilities, we will encourage quick steps, because solution is out of the Lesbos camp, which takes little bit of time; and I call for all refugees, local communities and authorities to be patient, yet active.”
He encouraged all refugees – who are recently shifted from Moria camp – to be patient and cooperate with authorities to process their concerns, saying by violence we cannot justify our struggle although it is understandable.
The remarks came a week after Greek authorities, who hold overall responsibility for the management and coordination of the humanitarian response, identified a new location in Lesvos, close to Mytilene town, to temporarily house the most vulnerable children, men and women were made homeless in a series of blazes in Moria camp.
“So far, UNHCR has provided 600 family tents, which are already accommodating some 700 as of yesterday evening,” said UNHCR in a statement. “We have also provided chemical toilets and handwashing stations and are ready to provide additional water, hygiene and sanitation support that may be required.”
Meanwhile, the UN body is “supporting the national health authorities in establishing a medical area in the new site, in accordance with WHO guidance, providing three tents, installing a Rubb hall and fencing to serve as isolation areas.”